Sunday, July 29, 2012

stirrings

I had a amazing unexpected conversation the other day with a good friend. The night before we had begun talking about the differences between guilt and conviction and got to continue that discussion the following day. We agreed that guilt is a feeling and conviction is something that God stirs within you to move you to action. And whatever that conviction is will be supported by numerous sources...not just one.

This conversation has been resonating in my heart the past few days. I struggle with feeling guilty about a lot of things that I shouldn't feel guilty about. Focusing on what things I feel convicted about has felt somehow freeing and life-giving. I have had a string of stirrings lately that I think paint a little bit of the conviction picture happening in me.

I guess I should preface this post by saying that I love sewing, even though I am a novice. The possibilities of things you can make with all the different fabrics, patterns and books are endless. I should also say that I am in search of an outlet right now, but the sort of outlet that actually contributes something useful to the world. Not just to satisfy my desire to create.

 stirring one:

When we were out on the farm in Montana about a month ago, one of my mother-in-law's old high school friends came over to visit. She brought with her a photo album of a recent trip she went on. Her little quilting circle in very rural Montana took a trip to the island of Dominica to teach a group of women there how to sew. They raised a bunch of money to also donate sewing machines to this group of women. Their little grassroots effort was really inspiring and frankly unexpected to hear about coming from a farmer's wife. But I know how big God is and he works through all types and it's not beyond me that he chose to use this woman to show me something.


stirring two:

My sweet brother eagerly wanted to go to India to work with the most broken-hearted people in India through an organization that helps women get out of sex trafficking and to share the rescuing work of the love of God. These women are able to stop selling their bodies when they are taught a skill: how to sew. They sew bags of all shape and size and in turn grow their dignity and self-worth back. It was inspiring to see him have hands so open to God. He was ready and willing but it was decided that it wasn't his time to go. In the midst of the feelings we've all had about him not being able to go, we trust God is always working in ways we can't quite wrap our minds around. I probably wouldn't have known about these women who are being empowered to leave their former lives if it weren't for my brother being interested in going there.

stirring three:

I read an article in Mpls/St.Paul Magazine a few weeks ago about a new store in Maiden Rock, WI. It said they featured goods from artisans around the world. We drove through Maiden Rock on the way to Stockholm during our anniversary weekend. As we were driving we drove by Cultural Cloth and I had Darren turn around just so we could check it out. As it turns out I was the first to tell them that they had been featured in this magazine. I wasn't even going to say anything, but I am trying to take more relational risks. As we got to talking, it became clear that they primarily sell the work of women artisans as way to help women stand on their own two feet.


stirring four:

I was telling my friend about my brother possibly going to India and she told me about Sari Bari.

"Sari Bari is a safe place of employment where women who have been exploited in the sex trade or who are vulnerable to trafficking can experience a new life in the making.

The name "Sari Bari" comes from two symbols. A sari is the traditional clothing worn by women in India. In India, a sari represents the essence of womanhood. The word bari mean "house or home" in the Bengali language."

They make the most beautiful products out of old saris! As a graphic designer I was really impressed with the presentation of their website. Automatically, I started thinking about what weddings, babies, showers, etc we had coming up so that I could possibly purchase one of their beautiful blankets. The beauty of their work drew me in.

throws


so, I guess I don't know what this all means or what God is trying to awaken me to. I feel him showing me these things though and I am trying to connect the dots and see what it all means...

we are going to india in a few months, and although we will be traveling with Target Corp., I know I will learn more about the deeper issues of poverty and injustice that I personally have never entered into. what will become of all of this?

The intersection of:

creativity 
oppressed women around the world
sewing
introducing practical, life-saving skills

all kind of fascinate me right now and I pray these stirrings settle deeper and deeper into my heart and turn into action. photo below from apne aap (another group I just learned about)
the photo below is women, in beautifully bright saris, learning about what their legal rights are)

No comments:

Post a Comment