Monday, November 7, 2011

becoming content, skills and The Unsettling of America

1. Realizations keep coming at me! More and more each day! What a beautiful thing! Throughout my life I have always struggled with discontentment. Growing up, it was always counting down the days until the next trip or planning for the summer, etc. I was never one of those girls that neccesarily longed to be a mom, but deep down I think it was something that I knew I would be pretty comfortable with and maybe even thrive at. It was at some point last night as I was watching The Help, that I remembered those buried feelings. I had this feeling like, "yeah, I am right where I want to be." There certainly aren't defined parameters in my new role as a mom, but lately I have been feeling the wealth of things I want to invest in as a mom. My heart feels very full.

2. Another realization is that I want to learn a lot of new primarily domestic skills. So far, they include:
- learning how to knit a hat
-learning how to bake
-learning how to sew more proficiently
-learning how to make things that I normally buy like laundry detergent
-learning how to grow a successful garden in the spring
-learning how to be more resourceful

3. I've recently started reading The Unsettling of America by Wendell Berry. I have put off reading it for a while because I thought I would get pretty depressed by what I learned...but more than being depressed, I have so far been very moved...feeling like I have been hit by a ton of bricks! Well maybe I will just leave this passage from the book for another post since it is so long. It's the exact reason why I want to learn how to do things for myself, learn how to entertain myself, etc. So fascinating and right on in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment